[CentOS] What NAS device(s) do you use? And why?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 22:12:03 UTC 2010

On Dec 12, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 4:17 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:
>>
>> In one instance we need to host virtual machines, so we don't need
>> anything fancy. I'm happy with running iSCSI / NFS and even AOE.
>> Currently we have a few 2U SuperMicro servers with 24bays, running
>> OpenFiler. But, OpenFiler is outdated and limited when it comes to
>> scalability. Ideally, I would like to have a "single host" type setup,
>> for when we move a client to a larger / new / different array, he
>> still connects to the same host - i.e. for high availability.
>

> Have you tried nexentastor?  It's free up to 18TB - not sure about
> pricing after that but there's a 45 day trial of the full featured
> version.

Nexentastor is a good product, buy it's just a software product and doesn't build a tight redundant configuration. Plus there is the whole risk associated around Oracle controlling Solaris/ZFS development and bringing it in-house which may mean that companies that built their business off open source Solaris/ZFS might not survive long term.

-Ross