[CentOS] Issues with CentOS in enterprise

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 13 10:02:43 UTC 2010

> They are OK with the roll-your-own style of Gentoo?
>
> Especially with it's cutting edge versions, bugs, security holes and the only way to overcome them is to upgrade to an even newer version that may break compatibility, introduce new bugs, zero-day vulnerabilities, the list goes on and on.

 So, you are saying that other OSes, even other Linux distributions, have no
 bugs, security holes, compatibility issues and zero-days? Looks like we don't
 need M$ to spread FUD about Linux, we're well capable of doing it ourselves ;)

> Gentoo is a great distro for learning Linux, in a computer lab, or for a home hobbyist, but not quite enterprise stable.

 There are in fact people who run Gentoo in the Enterprise, and it's up to the
 sysadmin to decide which upgrade policies to implement. While this would not
 necessarily be my personal choice, it's perfectly legit. As is running Windows
 should the powers that be require it.

> You can mix up RHEL and CentOS in the same environment. Use RHEL on key mission critical systems and CentOS on one-off systems to reduce license costs, but maintain 100% compatibility between the two.

 Agreed.

This message and any attachments may contain Cypress (or its
subsidiaries) confidential information. If it has been received
in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message.