[CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Dec 13 15:39:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010, Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s
>
> On Sunday 12 December 2010 17:02:27 Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I need to remove (or shorten to 5 seconds) any silent
>> sections throughout the Mp3 file - not just the beginning or
>> the end.
>
> I usually do this in Audacity (graphical app) and the feature is called
> "Truncate Silence".  I'm not sure if you need to do this in a console app.
>
> Also,  Audacity will uncompress your mp3 file to perform the edit which then
> you can export back to mp3 (transcode).
>
> I don't know of any app that will trim silence on MP3s in a lossless way.

Hi Jorge. Thanks for the reply.

I know about audacity, but I want a command line tool that
will work overnight, on a batch of mp3 files, each about
15MB per hour.

It would be handy if audacity could do this from the
command-line as a batch job.

I just want to set the job up to run, and come back to it
when it's done.

Kind Regards,

Keith

PS The list is quiet today. Hope I'm not loosing anything
from it :)

in practice they are not.