[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 16:37:36 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 10:14 AM, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>
> What programming language should I learn?
>
> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?

Perl is probably the easiest next step for someone who has shell
scripting experience.  The language can as complicated as you want to
make it, but you can keep it simple if you like.  The big win with perl
is that pretty much anything you are likely to need to do has already
been done with code available on CPAN.

On the other hand, if you had some reason to want to use Java (like a
need to use existing code in binary jars), you might like groovy which
is mostly compatible with standard java but can also act like an
interpreter with much of the verbose requirements removed so it is much
easier to see the logic of a program.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com