[CentOS] Issues with CentOS in enterprise

Gé Weijers ge at weijers.org
Mon Dec 13 18:37:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> RHEL is much better about that, although by now  the "production" RHEL
> 5 is 4 years out of date, the "leading edge" RHEL 6 is now one year
> out of date after the lengthy release testing, and CentOS will always
> lag that.

I believe "out of date" is the wrong wording. RHEL/CentOS 5 is maintained,
i.e. security issues and bugs are fixed. There's nothing "out of date"
about a tool that works and is cost-effective. RHEL 6 still has to prove
itself.

In my day job I support dozens of developer desktops that run CentOS 5 with
a modified kernel supporting non-standard devices. It takes a few hours a
week. Trying to track the bleeding edge supporting, say, Ubuntu would take
much more time.

Ge'