[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 13 21:51:12 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 05:14 PM, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>
> What programming language should I learn?
>
> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?

Have a look at Lua (www.lua.org). Imo it's quite readable and less
challenging than C, C++, C#, Java, Mono etc. There are a couple of Lua
books listed here: http://www.lua.org/docs.html#books
I would recommend getting Programming in Lua (2nd ed), Lua Programming
Gems and if you like a reference on paper then the Lua 5.1 Reference
Manual too (you support the project by buying these books). Some
examples and tutorials: http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory

Whatever you decide to learn, have fun!

Regards,
Patrick