[CentOS] BIND and latest update (max open files WARNING)

Jorge Fábregas

jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 14:15:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

After the latest security update for bind (which came out last night), now
there's a new message on syslog, (facility: daemon, severity: warning) every
time you restart named:

max open files (1024) is smaller than max sockets (4096)

After googling for a while the solution seems to be to add this to
/etc/security/limits.conf:

named        soft    nofile        4096

...and mofity /etc/named.conf in order to add, under the options section:

files 4096;

That seems to work.  Of course, you may raise the 4096 but I guess that's
the default in BIND and I was good with that.

I'm not sure why this happend. Maybe before the update bind had a value of
1024 for max.sockets and now it was raised to 4096.

 --
Jorge