[CentOS] RAID help

Jason T. Slack-Moehrle slackmoehrle at me.com
Tue Dec 14 19:08:20 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

>> 2. Create a RAID 1 out of that partition and use a mount point of /boot
>
> Only if you want to mirror the boot partition.

Doesn't one want to mirror that partition?

>> 3. Create other mount points I might want i.e swap, /home, etc
>> 4. Create RAID1 out of these partitions
>
> Only if you want each directory RAIDed. DO NOT mirror swap. Bad idea.
> <snip>

Right, I get that, but what is fuzzy is it you, say have a drive with a few partitions that you don't mirror and a few that you do, doesn't the drive you are mirroring to have unused space equal to the amount of the partitions you are not mirroring?

>> A few questions:
>>
>> 1. This system support 16gb of RAM. I have 9gb in it, but I will max it
>> out over the next few months as I find great deals on RAM, what should my
>> SWAP space be? I recall a long while ago that SWAP should match physical
>> RAM.
>
> Nope. Received Wisdom said 2-2.5 times RAM. However, in these days of in
> insanely huge amounts of RAM, it's not really important. At work, I just
> make swap 2G for everything (and trust me, we've got servers that make
> your memory look piddly).

Thanks.

> My manager here doesn't like LVM; but if it were me, I'd make that
> /var/www an LVM virtual partition. That way, you can always add another
> drive and thow more space into it.

I am not as familiar with LVM as I should be, do you have a link to info/tutorial?

-Jason