[CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Dec 14 19:35:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, John Hodrien wrote:

> From: John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s
>
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
>> I know about audacity, but I want a command line tool that
>> will work overnight, on a batch of mp3 files, each about
>> 15MB per hour.
>
> You've got a command line tool that does what you need, it just needs
> rebuilding with mp3 support.  I'm with John Doe's suggestion on this one.
>
> Install lame-devel from rpmforge, download the src.rpm for sox, rpmbuild
> --rebuild it, install it, mp3 support is now in.

Hi all.

Sorry for my lame email replies, (please excuse the pun),
but I had problems with my email recently.

I've just had to clear out ~6,000 SPAM messages from my new
hosting providers web mail account :(

Yes - I definately !!!HATE SPAM!!!

I had set up mail redirection to my ISP's webmail.
It appears that instead of being redirected, the mail was
accumulating on the new webmail account, and I was getting a
*copy* sent to my ISP mail account. The spam filtering at my
ISP is excellent, and this was blocking out the spam being
sent to my domain name, which was then building up on the
new webmail account, where I moved my hosting to.

I had to d/l the spam in batches of 1,000, and then delete
then delete the mail spool inbox, to clear it all.

I'm monitoring this web mail account now, to see if
SpamAssasin is doing it's job OK.

This was OFF at the karsites domain name web mail account.

It's on now though ;)

Anyway, without hijacking my original post I have the
following question.

If a package is installed, eg sox, the repo it came from is
no longer showing. It just says 'installed' which is not
that helpfull. Maybe the repo should be shown in an
immutable field, that does not get updated when the package
is installed?

How can I find out the repo sox is in, so I can enable the
source code for that particular repo, to rebuild this
package?

Is there an rpm or yum command I need to tell me where an
installed package came from?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.