[CentOS] was, Re: Stripping silent periods from MP3s, is: forged spam

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Dec 14 20:32:03 UTC 2010

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 12/14/2010 2:38 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Sorry for my lame email replies, (please excuse the pun),
>>> but I had problems with my email recently.
>>>
>>> I've just had to clear out ~6,000 SPAM messages from my new
>>> hosting providers web mail account :(
>>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> I've been getting bounces, because some spambot appears to be forging my
>> address as a Reply-To, or maybe even as a From. I'm hoping for a bounce
>> from a legitimate ISP, with a tech support/abuse contact, so I can at
>> least see the full headers of the crap.
>
> One of my addresses is getting about 500 bounces per day from some
> Russian spammer forging the address.  Quite annoying.  This has been
> going on for ages now.  Not much I can do about it.

I'd like to see the actual spam. For example, I just got an ordinary
spam... with a phone number in Utah to call. I'm seriously considering
doing something I've been thinking of for a while: finding out who the
number belongs to, and suing *them* under the CAN-SPAM act. I mean, the
spammers are being paid to send out that crap, and I bet a *lot* of it is
for people in the US scamming for $$$.

I could hope that the spam being sent under the bounced notices is the same.

          mark