[CentOS] Spam Email - was Stripping silent periods from MP3s

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Dec 14 20:46:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s
>
> On 12/14/2010 2:38 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Sorry for my lame email replies, (please excuse the pun),
>>> but I had problems with my email recently.
>>>
>>> I've just had to clear out ~6,000 SPAM messages from my new
>>> hosting providers web mail account :(
>>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> I've been getting bounces, because some spambot appears to be forging my
>> address as a Reply-To, or maybe even as a From. I'm hoping for a bounce
>> from a legitimate ISP, with a tech support/abuse contact, so I can at
>> least see the full headers of the crap.
>
> One of my addresses is getting about 500 bounces per day from some
> Russian spammer forging the address.  Quite annoying.  This has been
> going on for ages now.  Not much I can do about it.

Well you can try tmda as mentioned in an earlier post.

YOu can configure it to DROP any bounced messages, so they
do not appear in your inbox.

Also if you have a catch-all email address, ie
whatever at karsites.net, then the spamers just love those, as
they can make up any user they like for your domain, and
then spam you till their hearts are content!

tmda also allows you to generate special time-limited email
addresses, that are checked for their validity as they come
into your machine.

It can do lots more as well.

I just gave up fiddling with it, as my IPS's spam measures
have been upgraded, and there was hardly any spam getting
through when my domain was on their DNS.

Now I have my domain on another DNS, and I'm currently
collecting my email from their mail server, I need to manage
the email and spam setings differently.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

---