[CentOS] RAID help

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Tue Dec 14 21:18:58 UTC 2010

On 14.12.2010 19:37, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a new system with 2 Seagate 1TB SATA Enterprise level drives in it.
>
> I want to RAID1 (mirror) these drives.

> 1. This system support 16gb of RAM. I have 9gb in it, but I will max it out over the next few months as I find great deals on RAM, what should my SWAP space be? I recall a long while ago that SWAP should match physical RAM.

lvm, see below.

> 2. Any reason I can't just create a single mount point taking up the entire drive and RAID1 the entire thing? Can anyone recommend some ideal mount points and sizes?
>
> 3. What should I account for if my /var/www/html will be very large?

If you dont know in advance how your storage is allocated the best way,
use lvm. The space you dont need today is in the pool and be it
/var/www/html or swap or whatever assign it as needed in the future.

Note that its maybe better to not put /boot into lvm.

I would suggest

/dev/md0 -> /boot
/dev/md1 -> lvm with all other partitions including swap

--
Best Regards,
Markus Falb