[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 21:57:13 UTC 2010

On 12/14/2010 3:38 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> If you don't like java's verbosity, you might like groovy.  You can, for
>
> OO in general, and java in particular, IMO, is trying to enforce good
> coding standards by compiler... except, of course, that it doesn't work.
>
>> example, print items from a database in about 3 lines.
>
> Really? I can do that in one:
> sqlplus (or mysql, or whatever)
> select * from mytable;
>
> Or from C, using, say, Pro*C:
> Exec SQL
>    select ....
> End-Exec
>
>          mark, being difficult

I think besides being difficult you are missing the point - you can't do
anything else with those values from a sql server's own monitor tool -
and the way you do even that will vary with the sql server flavor.  With
groovy you can use any jdbc interface the same way and hand off the
values to any other java jars or code you have around - maybe use
jfreereport to graph them with a few more lines, etc.  I suppose you
could do that in C if you wanted to spend the rest of your life writing it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com