[CentOS] RAID help

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Dec 14 22:21:39 UTC 2010

Markus Falb wrote:
> On 14.12.2010 22:49, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
<snip>
>> OK, I have done this, I need to create mount points and I am not sure
>> how to initially size.
>
> My idea was to assign minimum at now. It could go like this:
>
> lvm volume group -> 1000GB
>
> for the system:
> lvm logical volume for / -> 1GB
> lvm logical volume for /var -> 1GB
> lvm logical volume for /usr -> 1GB

Sorry, but I don't think you can install with that. 10 years ago, think it
was, I was giving /, /usr and /var 4G. For most of the time since then, I
went to 20G for /usr, then 40G. And I gave /opt 20G. Giving 1G for /var is
*asking* for trouble - what happens when you have a hardware error, or an
intrusion attempt, and the logs fill the partition?

Oh, and while you're at it, install and run something like fail2ban, and
maybe clamav.
<snip>

      mark