[CentOS] RAID help

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Tue Dec 14 22:43:20 UTC 2010

On 14.12.2010 23:21, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Markus Falb wrote:
>> On 14.12.2010 22:49, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> <snip>
>>> OK, I have done this, I need to create mount points and I am not sure
>>> how to initially size.
>>
>> My idea was to assign minimum at now. It could go like this:
>>
>> lvm volume group -> 1000GB
>>
>> for the system:
>> lvm logical volume for / -> 1GB
>> lvm logical volume for /var -> 1GB
>> lvm logical volume for /usr -> 1GB
>
> Sorry, but I don't think you can install with that. 10 years ago, think it
> was, I was giving /, /usr and /var 4G. For most of the time since then, I
> went to 20G for /usr, then 40G. And I gave /opt 20G. Giving 1G for /var is
> *asking* for trouble - what happens when you have a hardware error, or an
> intrusion attempt, and the logs fill the partition?

You mentioned logfiles. I find it good practice to give essential
processes an explicit partition for logging and another one for data.
This way i can get away with relatively small system partitions.
And if you do syslog to a remote target, what else remains in local
logfiles.

Actually, When I said i was not after numbers, I meant I would like to
avoid the discussion if 1 or 2 or 20 gb are adequat. Of course the
perfect amount depends on how one is doing things. With the method i was
describing everyone can find out himself and adjust as needed.

--
Best Regards,
Markus Falb