[CentOS] Remote firefox configuration

Marko Vojinovic

vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 14:15:32 UTC 2010

Hi everyone! :-)

I need to change some firefox configuration settings on a remote machine
(running an up-to-date CentOS 5), using nothing but ssh for access (ie. no ssh
-X or such, the link is too slow).

The setting that I need to reconfigure is the one about what to open on startup
--- in a GUI it is reached as

Edit -> Preferences -> General tab -> "When Firefox starts".

It should be changed from "show my windows and tabs from last time" to "show a
blank page".

Can anyone point me to a config file which should be modified? :-)

The whole problem appeared when the user managed to open
more-than-a-reasonable-number of tabs (around a hundred or so, I guess), so
now when he starts Firefox it opens and freezes completely due to the load,
lack of memory or whatever. The main window is completely unresponsive,
nothing happens when he clicks on the "edit" menu to get to preferences (the
menu does not open at all). Nothing even happens if he tries to close a tab,
or even the whole program. The only thing that works is "killall firefox" from
the terminal.

So I guess the above option would reset Firefox to a sane state, but I need to
reconfigure it manually (and remotely :-( ), in the config file, while firefox is
not running.

I am open to any suggestions. :-)

Thanks! :-)
Marko