[CentOS] Building packages using RPMBUILD

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Thu Dec 16 15:18:59 UTC 2010

Moved from a previous thread :)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, John Hodrien wrote:

> From: John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s
>
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the responses!
>>
>> I've read MaximumRPM from:
>>
>> http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/index.html
>>
>> Which helped me a great deal.
>>
>> I'll start a new thread regarding using RPM to build
>> packages.
>
> You'll find MaximumRPM will have taught you a whole lot
> you didn't need to know (not that this is a bad thing).
> In this case, it really should have been a case of:
>
> yum install lame
> wget src.rpm
> rpmbuild --rebuild src.rpm
> rpm -Uvh --force shiny-new-binary.rpm
>
> No twiddling with the spec file was required, as it
> already auto-detected the presence of lame.
>
> jh

Thanks for that John.

I read MaxRPM once before, so just going over the build part
again. I want to be able to build my own Linux/Centos RPM's,
and then post them on my website. May even make a 3rd party
repo. I obviously know the ./configure, make, make install
and autoconf and automake stuff, so doing RPM's and a repo
should not be that difficult to work out.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.