[CentOS] Antwort: MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e -- Centos support.

Lisandro Grullon lgrullon at CityTech.Cuny.Edu
Fri Dec 17 02:51:21 UTC 2010

The centos has support for this controller by default, I just had to do
some tweaking in the actual controller in order to see the virtual
console. I think it was my mistake all along to get this thing going, my
box is flying using Vmware ESX 4.1, the nxt step is to configure centos,
redhat, windows 2008 R2, debian, ubuntu and all the other goodies I am
testing, opps almost forgot Solaris 11 express and Opensolaris.  Testing
time for me. Lisandro

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 03:44:19PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> thus Lisandro Grullon spake:
> > Thank u timo,
> > I will test this further when I get home. I have been having
nightmares getting this card working from an OS iso, it appears that the
card is very new and the drivers have not been integrated into the
distributions or kernel. The alternative is to load the driver via
console using any of the modules supply by LSI. Thank you again Timo for
your guidance. Lisandro

> You're welcome.
>
> Ah, and welcome to the world of proprietary drivers. This is something
> that the OpenBSD guys do right: They ignore them. ;)

I don't think LSI has proprietary drivers.. they provide the sources,
and also pre-compiled driver disks for some linux distros.

I assume RHEL/CentOS 5.5 does not (yet) contain a driver for that HBA,
so they're making it easier to use that HBA.

In the future (maybe in RHEL/CentOS 5.6) the driver is probably included
in the distro, out-of-the-box.

-- Pasi