[CentOS] Building packages using RPMBUILD

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Fri Dec 17 13:29:45 UTC 2010

Hello Nico,

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 08:01 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> There are easily half a dozen reasons. The first one is that this is
> where root runs their builds: if you leave it with write permission
> for other users,

> Second, if you open the permissions there, multiple users can step on
> each other building similar packages at the same time,

I only suggested chowning to a single trusted user, not opening that
directory to all users.

> The third reason one is that "/usr" is typically of modest size, and
> leaving it open for RPM development can lead to many gigabytes of
> inappropriate debris scattering it.

I didn't mention this, but of course I use a separate partition
for /usr/src in this setup. This way my home directory doesn't get
cluttered with the remains of multiple builds that don't need backing
up.

Regards,
Leonard.