[CentOS] two cents or not two cents

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Dec 17 15:08:21 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 16, 2010 05:45:36 pm Sean wrote:
> If so, the problem is in reconciling that meaning with the reputation of
> CentOS to only support older versions of applications (eg Firefox-1.5,
> Thunderbird-1.0 etc).

Where do people get this?  On one of my up to date CentOS 5 VM's:
[root at zoneminder1 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.5 (Final)
[root at zoneminder1 ~]# rpm -qi firefox
Name        : firefox                      Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.6.13                            Vendor: CentOS
[snip]
[root at zoneminder1 ~]# yum list thunderbird
Available Packages
thunderbird.x86_64                2.0.0.24-13.el5.centos                 updates
[root at zoneminder1 ~]#

On one of my CentOS 4 boxes, fully up to date:
[root at pachyderm ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.8 (Final)
[root at pachyderm ~]# yum list firefox
Available Packages
firefox.i386                             3.6.13-3.el4.centos    update
[root at pachyderm ~]# yum list thunderbird
Available Packages
thunderbird.i386                         1.5.0.12-34.el4.centos update
[root at pachyderm ~]#

Hmmm, how about CentOS 3 (of course, I have DAG enabled on that box, so it shows up):
[root at campus root]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 3.9 (Final)
[root at campus root]# yum list firefox
[snip]
Looking in Available Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
firefox                             i386   0.8-3.1.el3.dag          dag

And thunderbird isn't available.  Not surprised at the age, though, as that's Fedora Core 1 timeframes for C3.

So on the currently supported CentOS releases, 4 and 5, Firefox 3.6.13, Firefox 3.6.13 is available.  So where does this FUD of 'FF 1.5 only' come from?