[CentOS] Moving from Fedora -- Advice??

David Sommerseth dazo at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 17 17:38:22 UTC 2010

On 17/12/10 18:24, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 01:11:49AM +0800, Guenther Boelter wrote:
>> On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>>>
>>> 	I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
>>> I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.
>>
>> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
>> of using CentOS instead?
>
> Fedora will break things.  They're still, in many ways, figuring out
> what they are, but they do serve as a test bed, or perhaps development
> platform, for various things that aren't ready for prime time.

I so often hear that Fedora breaks things.  I've been running F-11 and
F-12 on a server as KVM host, without issues.  I've been using F8-F13 on
several computers (3 laptops and a workstation), and I can't really say
it has broken anything on my setups.  It might be I'm not using it
"right" to experience such breakage.  Use cases are everything from
"mail, surf and OO.org" to development tasks

In fact, for me, Fedora has been way more stable and solid than the time
I was running Ubuntu (from Gibson to Ibix), where I got worried every
time there were new updates available.

But rightfully enough, I've never tried CentOS on the desktop.  Maybe
CentOS 6 will be a good choice for that.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth