[CentOS] two cents or not two cents

Sean soso at orcon.net.nz
Fri Dec 17 20:12:53 UTC 2010

Interesting, and probably worth a play with indeed, although I tend to
steer clear of Bash (unhappy with) whenever possible to do the same in
Perl (happy with). I imagine there is machine level stuff involved that
would rule out a pure Perl version?
However, my difficulties for OS replacement are not so much the OS setup
itself but the 'production' stuff that needs to go on top and a raft of
dependencies -- compilers, BerkeleyDB, myriad Perl modules etc etc etc.
Since the system is 'live', I usually have to run 2 versions in parallel
for a long time... so lots of rollbacks, synchronising overhead and so
on. Usually newer versions of some things have to be replaced with older
versions and then inter-dependency issues arise... some of the stuff I
upgraded specifically for suddenly stops working. You are familiar with
the general picture, I'm sure.
But thanks for the thought.
Sean