[CentOS] google chrome "big brother"

Sven Aluoor aluoor at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 16:37:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:42 PM, S Mathias <smathias1972 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Google Chrome Terms of Service(Google Chrome executable), BSD (source code and Chromium executable except chromium 5 beta),

Please don't send HTML formated mails. Thanks.

> BSD License with proprietary parts (source code and chromium 5 beta executable, as it integrates Adobe Flash Player 10.1[1])[2]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome
> in my interpretation, this means Google Chrome is fully open-source, only the flash player has proprietary codes.
> am i right, or i'm missing something?

You are right. Google Chrome OS is Open Source. But with "Google
Chrome OS" you can do exactly nothing, because there are no
applications (even basic UNIX tools are not available). The
applications are proprietary web applications, where you loose control
of all your data (your data isn't local, it is in the cloud). It is
the same situation like Google Android; Android is Open Source, but
99% of all mini applications from Android Market are
proprietary/Closed Source. Additionally Android has built in DRM
restrictions.

> i would be happy if someone could correct me.
> thank you!!
> *ps.: because "they" say google is the "big brother"

See the statements from Richard Stallman about Google Chrome OS:
http://slashdot.org/story/10/12/14/1713242/Stallman-Worried-About-Chrome-OS.
I guess most UNIX folks (and even Windows power users) will agree.
Also interesting is the comments from Gmail founder:
http://slashdot.org/story/10/12/16/0412220/Gmail-Creator-Says-Chrome-OS-Is-As-Good-As-Dead.
He says "'ChromeOS will be killed next year (or "merged" with
Android)"

cheers Sven