[CentOS] how to install Linux on an IBM xserver 335 server without graphics card?

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Sun Dec 19 21:28:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010, Drew wrote:

>> I recently got some IBM Xseries 335 servers 2nd hand, and noticed they
>> don't have any graphics card. Some google searched indicate they only
>> have an uplink port, which you could connect to another (other model)
>> IBM server and use that as the head node. But, I don't have one
>> available.
>
> That'd be the C2T (Cable Chaining) technology they were using back
> then. It's essentially a KVM switch system built into the server, the
> idea being that if you have a rack of 42 of them you can hookup up a
> single monitor/keyboard/mouse to the stack and with the press of a
> button switch between the servers.
>
> All you need to get access to the console on these units is a C2T
> Breakout cable. It looks like a custom KVM cable with PS2/VGA ports on
> one end and a DVI port on the other.

One of the more frustrating servers I've worked with.  You can only use
the serial port for the console after you set it up in the bios..which
you can't do from the serial port if it isn't already setup.

Confirm that you need the C2T cable.  Be aware that there are 2 types.
One about 18" long with an identical connector on each end (for stacking
the servers), one as described with the KVM break out on the end.  Used
to cost about $60 back in the day.

Out of curiosity, here is an example
http://cgi.ebay.com/KVM-Breakout-C2T-Cable-IBM-x330-x335-06P6210-New-/320632050911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa728d4df

Great little servers once they are installed.  oh, the original bios
would only allow you to set PXE boot on 1 of the interfaces at a time.