[CentOS] Routing issue between 2 LANs

Andrej Moravcik centos at datalock.sk
Sun Dec 19 22:55:24 UTC 2010

Hello Jose,

from the picture you provided the situation looks pretty simple.

- you have enabled IP forwarding on router, I recommend you to put it
into /etc/sysctl.conf for persistence.

- you have configured firewall rules on router to allow forwarding
traffic from left to right subnet. You can also try to set up ACCEPT
policy just for testing.

- the default gateway for left subnet is 192.168.1.1 (you mentioned
router for Internet access). Correct me if I'm wrong.

- the default gateway for right subnet I assume is 192.168.236.74. You
don't have to do anything with routing here. Every host in right subnet
knows where to send replies.

- the problem seems to be missing routing information in left subnet.
Hosts don't know anything about the right subnet and thus send requests
to the default gateway 192.168.1.1.

- modifying routing table on every host in left subnet can be solution
in case, if there is only a few hosts which need to access right subnet

- if you need to have fully accessible subnets, put the static route to
default gateway 192.168.1.1 to redirect requests to proper gateway. If
it is Linux gateway, try something like this

[root at default-gw]# ip route add 192.168.236.0/24 via 192.168.236.74

Regards

Andrej