[CentOS] Moving from Fedora -- Advice??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Tue Dec 21 20:13:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 01:11:49 +0800, Guenther Boelter wrote:

> On 12/18/2010 01:04 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> 	I'm running Fedora14 on all machines, including my wife's -- and
>> I'm the nearest (distant) thing there is to tech support.
>
> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
> of using CentOS instead?

	Fair question, for which thanks.

	First off, Les Mikesell's point below. I keep fairly near
current, installing new Fedora releases a week to a month after they come
out, chiefly because that's when I have the best chance that some
Friendly Alpha Plus Technoid (FAPT) will notice any Very Dumb Question
(VDQ) of mine. All that takes a lot of time and mental effort -- which
she, being more outdoor oriented (as I used to be), has no interest in.
I'm getting almighty tired of it myself, despite my interest.

	What's more, as a linguist and erstwhile mathematician, and one
who's been following lists, LUGs, etc., etc., for a dozen years, I've
picked up enough of the argot to ask questions in relatively brief and
not totally unfamiliar ways -- enough so that most do usually get read.
That's another interest she leaves to me.

	Also, a side-effect of using the argot is that many or most of
those who reply overestimate my actual savvy -- as is true of maybe half
the ten posts in this thread so far. (The ratio is substantially more
favorable here than in many of my electronic hang-outs, I'm glad to say.)
Then I have to ask for elucidations. Nothing wrong with that, while I
last, but still more reason to find her something that she'll have far
less occasion to ask about.

	For the likes of me, whether Fedora "breaks things" is a very
oversimplified question. Maybe, despite my greater interest and
experience (than my wife's, at least), *I'm* breaking most of them --
certainly some. (I do tinker, trying to emulate an amorous porcupine the
while ...)

 	I'll stop here for now, just because this is getting long.