[CentOS] I/O size distribution?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Dec 21 22:49:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Antonello Piemonte wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Antonello Piemonte <apiemont at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] I/O size distribution?
>
> Hello
>
> I have read that under Solaris one can use DTrace to get I/O request
> size distribution on a global scale (also on a per process/pid basis).
> See for example
>
> http://prefetch.net/articles/observeiodtk.html
>
> Can anyone recommend an alternative to get similar information under
> CentOS? I looked into dtrace for linux but it seems still work in
> progress, even putting aside CDDL issues ...

This might do it. It's in the updates repo.

Name       : systemtap
Arch       : i386
Version    : 1.1
Release    : 3.el5_5.3
Size       : 6.3 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : Instrumentation System
URL        : http://sourceware.org/systemtap/
License    : GPLv2+
systems running Linux 2.6.
            : Developers can write instrumentation to collect
data on the operation
            : of the system.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts