[CentOS] do i need a dedicated ip address for https?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 12:52:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:53 AM, S Mathias <smathias1972 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://help.godaddy.com/article/1054
>
> "# Set up SSL protection on your website."
>
> is it an inescapable requirement to have a dedicated [not fix] ip address, when i want to use ssl on my domain?
>
> thank you
>
> happy Christmas! :)

It's the easiest way to do it. If you allow someone else to hold your
SSL keys, they can do interesting things to act as your front end to
register your hostname associated with a registered key, but that gets
tricky. And there are other fancy tricks, but they get weird and
painful.

But let's be honest. Most SSL encryption is not done to authenticate a
website as a signed, registered websites. Most of us at penny-wise
workplaces have to hit "Yes, I accept this unsigned key" pop-ups all
the time. SSL is often useful merely to encrypt the traffic end-to-end
while clients accept such unsigned or incorrectly registered keys
without concern. For that kind of use, dodging and weaving
unregistered IP addresses are common place.