[CentOS] Ext4 on CentOS 5.5 64bit

cpolish at surewest.net cpolish at surewest.net
Thu Dec 23 07:12:15 UTC 2010

Matt wrote:
> Is ext4 stable on CentOS 5.5 64bit?  I have an email server with a
> great deal of disk i/o and was wandering if ext4 would be better then
> ext3 for it?

Before committing to ext4 on a production server, it
would be good to consider the comments made in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/317781/comments/45
which presumably still apply to current CentOS 5.5 64-bit kernels.
As I read it, Ts'o argues that the apparent loss of stability
compared to ext3 is a design issue in the realm of applications
that run atop it. I hope this is not a misreading.
--
Charles Polisher