[CentOS] changing background image

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Thu Dec 23 17:27:00 UTC 2010

I'm running centos 5.5 - 64 on Nvidia hardware.
I am getting video from totem mixed in with my background image when I
stop totem.

If I change the background back to the default it does not seem to happen.
However, as soon as I change the background to something else like
ladybug.jpg
and run totem fullscreen, then ask totem to quit with "totem --quit" the
last video image
is mixed in with my background.

I did the standard (I think) way to change the background image:

                /usr/bin/gconftool-2 -t string --set
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
"/usr/share/backgrounds/images/ladybug.jpg"
                su silentm -c "/usr/bin/gconftool-2 -t string --set
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
'/usr/share/backgrounds/images/ladybug.jpg'"

Is there something else I might be missing so the "still" of the video
is not mixed in with my background?

Thanks,

Jerry