[CentOS] Ext4 on CentOS 5.5 64bit

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Dec 24 03:04:20 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 24, 2010 05:25 AM, Ross Walker wrote:

>> I'd stick with ext3 + data=journal with the journal either on some uber
>> fast and large external BBU nvram block device (you can get up to 1TB
>> with speeds of 750MiB/sec+ if you have a fat enough bus) or on hardware
>> raid with sufficient BBU cache for an email server. Or anything with
>> barrier support through the entire chain (read: no LVM).
>
> I believe barrier support is being deprecated in current kernels. Don't remember what they are replacing them with, straight FUA maybe. Barriers never performed well enough.

Yea, I get a heads up. I did not know about barriers until after a year
it was implemented. But I'll still want to use some nvram solution from
umem or fusionio for scenarios where a lot of files are transient or
created and deleted almost immediately and high performance is required.

Storage usually means get the hardware to mitigate data loss due to
whatever or ensure barrier/whatever support.