[CentOS] Ext4 on CentOS 5.5 64bit

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Dec 24 03:17:11 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 24, 2010 01:03 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> But note that the reason applications don't use fsync() when they should
>>> is probably due to linux historically not implementing it in a
>>> reasonable way (i.e. it would flush the entire filesystem buffer and
>>> wait for completion instead of just the requested file's outstanding
>>> blocks).  Not sure when/if that was fixed - but it is also probably
>>> behind the old impressions that mysql is faster than postgresql.
>>>

>> Can we drop the fsync nonsense?
>
> No, if you don't remember history you are doomed to repeat it.

Well, come to think of it, I guess most open source apps are developed
on Linux and so its implementation does colour how devs think about
fsync...nevermind that it is done properly on the BSDs and UNIXes

>> Apps that are data sensitive should be
>> using fsync/fsyncdata (fsync is a posix specification so the history of
>> how linux implemented fsync has nothing to do with whether applications
>> used it or not) otherwise it should not be even consider for the task.
>> The lying fsync/fsyncdata was fixed when write barrier support was
>> introduced and filesystems updated to use write barriers. As for the
>> flush entire buffer...IIRC, that is specific to ext3 and even that
>> should be now gone with the update to write barrier support.
>
> It's one of those 'have you stopped beating your wife things'.  Apps
> that correctly used fsync were slow because of the OS implementation, so
> people used other apps.  So now you have popular apps that do things
> wrong.

Yeah, funny how ext3 managed to become the dominant Linux filesystem
when it was the one with the flush everything quirk and at a time when
fsync did not really honour the 'yes it is safely on the platters'
maxim. Let's thank Redhat for this mess.