[CentOS] Collecting data

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 23:58:46 UTC 2010

On 12/24/10 4:45 PM, derleader __ wrote:

>  >> > Hi,
>  >> > I'm developing C plugin for Centos which will be installed as
>  >> > kernel module. The problem is how to collect the data about:
>

>  > none of that stuff should be in a kernel module. a simple daemon is far
>  > more appropriate.
>
> What is the most appropriate way to do this task?

What do you plan to do with the data?  On the local host most is already
available through the /proc interface (things that look like files to user
programs) and tools already exist to read and display the values.  If you want
to collect data from remote hosts, snmp is the appropriate protocol and again,
tools already exist.

> What are the benefits of the kernel module and daemon?

Normally kernel modules would only be used to communicate with specific hardware
(and errors introduce the risk of crashing).  Everything you mention is already
available without kernel changes, although some might be reported in less than
optimal ways.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com