[CentOS] Moving from Fedora -- Advice??

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 25 18:40:26 UTC 2010

On Saturday 25 December 2010 18:11:00 Beartooth wrote:
>         We have a couple of external USB hard drives, and one at least
> has a partition backing up her specific machine. I'll try to think up a
> good name (or get her to!) and see if I can change that partition to
> that.
>
>         The problem will be persuading her to take any interest beyond
> knowing that I have some backup for her, somewhere ... (I always do one
> before an upgrade -- and upgrade her machine last, in order to have seen
> most common problems before I get to it.) Any experience with that one?

I recently set up such a backup system for my daughter.   Now the only thing
she has to remember is to have the USB drive powered up whenever she uses the
computer.  The rest is done by rsync + cron - and I set cron to run quite
frequently, because she doensn't really have regular hours for using it, so
whenever she works, she is pretty well bound to hit one of the backup spots
:-)

And because it runs so frequently (and it is differential) it takes a very
short time, so there's little risk of her shutting down while it is still
running.  If that is a concern the backup script could run the rsync jobs on
the necessary directories, then send her a message that it is done - but
assuming that she doesn't normally switch on and off after only 2-3 minutes,
the risk should be small.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group