[CentOS] appliance to embed Centos

Nataraj

incoming-centos at rjl.com
Tue Dec 28 21:55:59 UTC 2010

I'm looking for some kind of appliance like box, maybe something like
this:http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm on which I could deploy iptables
based firewall/openvpn/DNS and other local network services in a wide
area network.  I would probably install on a flash device.  I would
prefer something that was relatively easy to install on, or at least has
been used with CentOS before, where I'm not needing to pull my hair out
finding working drivers, building custom kernels etc.

Though I might spend time down the road to come up with an extremely
minimal install, for rapid deployment in the first round, I'd like to be
able to do a pretty standard install and have a full featured CentOS
system that I could logon to and use for local network administrative tasks.

I could use something like a Mac mini, but my sense is there are are
probably less expensive and more suitable devices.

- Two ethernet interfaces
- working drivers for CentOS
- flash
- enterprise quality (i.e. not some flakey little home router device)
- fast enough to do openvpn encryption on WAN links ranging from 50mb to
100mb

Though I do want enterprise quality, my sense is to make the device
affordable enough that I could keep spares on site for backup purposes.

I would appreciate anyones experience with deploying such a setup.

Thanks,
Nataraj