[CentOS] 2 Ethernet cabling question

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 15:59:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/2010 2:51 PM, Morten Torstensen wrote:
>> On 28.12.2010 15:20, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>> The colors are not important aside from standardization.  If you need to
>>> fix one end of the cable, you have to make sure it's the same as the
>>> other end.  If you use the standard color scheme, that is not a problem.
>> Not sure if that is true. I've always been told that the particular
>> pin-layout is to reduce crosstalk.
>>
>> Ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/568A#Wiring
>
> Right.  That's what I explained in the part of my post that you did not
> quote.  :)
>
> The colors do not matter.  What matters is the pairs.

The colors are directly linked to the pairing. Don't tell the newbies
that neutral and ground are the same thing, don't tell the newbies to
lick the freezing lamp pole, and don't tell the newbies to get cute
with the color coding. Ignoring the standard color code is for
emergencies, not for standard wiring.

Don't tug on Superman's cape. Don't spit into the wind. Don't pull the
mask off the old Lone Ranger, and don't mess around with the color
coding of any electrical wiring.