[CentOS] Server unresponsive until reboot, memory exhausted

cpolish at surewest.net cpolish at surewest.net
Wed Dec 29 16:06:59 UTC 2010

On 12/28/2010 01:41 PM, james wrote:
> You may be right about the restart, but I would like to know WHAT is
> crashing my web server regardless. We are not running any shiftily
> coded sites or apps on this server that I'm aware of (obviously
> something is shifty!). Is anyone aware of any other methods for
> drilling into the problem?

You may be dealing with a request that crashes before any data
makes it into the logs.

Here's a trick I have used (posted Feb 10, 2008 by "Phantom"
in alt.apache.configuration):

ls -l `ps -C httpd h | sed -r "s/^\s*([0-9]+) .+$/\/proc\/\\1\/cwd/"`

which prints out the directory that each Apache worker thread is
accessing. If you can narrow it down to the pid, you can use lsof to
identify the particular file being being processed. Please keep us
posted!

--
Charles Polisher