[CentOS] noob question about mock

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Thu Dec 30 14:45:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 13:51 +0000, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
> As far as I could read about it, mock
> essentially rebuilds srpms so to use it I would need a separate "classical"
> build environment to create those srpms in the first place.
> Am I right or did I get something terribly wrong?

Since CentOS is an rpm based system you will almost always be rebuilding
from srpms and *not* from plain tar balls. Repos catering for
RHEL/CentOS/Fedora provide srpms by default.

However, if you want to make your own (s)rpms or patch existing ones you
will indeed need a "classical" build environment to do so. And since
there are a couple of packages that mock will not build you will need a
fallback build environment for such cases.

Regards,
Leonard.