[CentOS] SELinux - way of the future or good idea but !!!

Mon Dec 6 14:45:37 UTC 2010
Jerry Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

On 12/06/2010 06:06 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> Did you take a look at the AVC messages?  Are you running setroubleshoot?

Yes to both.
> Usually running something like restorecon -R -v /var/ftp would have
> cleaned this up, if it is a simple mislabel in /var directory.

The point is *I shouldn't have to*. A stable system should not have
breakages from SELinux where 'for some reason' a directory tree got
mislabeled during updates. And yet it does. I enable SELinux on only a
handful of my systems - and most of those systems acquire SELinux
related problems at least once ever year or two just from normal updates.

While SELinux continues to do stuff like this, it will remain disabled
on the vast majority of my (and many other people's) systems.

--
Benjamin Franz