[CentOS] Skype and problem with ALSA mixer driver?

William L. Maltby

CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Feb 1 11:14:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 09:47 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 11:44 +0000, Andrew wrote:
> >> But this is disappointing because I want my PC to be completely
> >> functional and skype is part of that requirement - so I suppose I'm
> >> going to have to look around for an alternative to CentOS (5.3).
> >
> > My wife uses Skype on Centos 5 (currently 5.4) regularly.
>
> While I don't use Skype regularly, I can confirm that it works on
> CentOS 5.4 by connecting to it's test call service.
>
> If your desktop is gnome, run gnome-volume-control and go to the
> "capture" tab.  Make sure microphone is ON.  I had to do this before I
> could get the microphone to work.

Also, a right click on the volume control on the panel will allow you to
oben sound controls. You can configure which switches you see. Very
often several of those controls are muted, by default I guess, or have
the volume set to very low levels.

Maybe you'll have some success palying with those settings.

--
Bill