[CentOS] glibc updates and rebooting

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Mon Feb 1 17:49:24 UTC 2010

R-Elists wrote:

> i forgot...
>
> is it necessary to reboot after glibc* yum updates on 4.x and 5.x or any
> centos for that matter...

Should not be, but as with all library updates applications that
are running when the update is applied won't get the update until
they are restarted. Often times the updates are so minor that
restarts are not critical.

Often times rebooting is the easiest method for the update to
fully take effect or you can manually restart stuff.

I'm not sure if RPM automatically restarts services when system
libraries change(I haven't seen it do this myself). In Debian by
contrast for example when you update glibc, it will scan for
running services that use it and will prompt you to restart them
as part of the upgrade process.

nate