[CentOS] Find and excluding directory

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Feb 2 14:56:14 UTC 2010

Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have to use find to change the perms of a directory and files within
> that directory recursively but i need to exclude a directory within the
> top level directory, as its a netapp and so contains a read only
> .snapshot dir.
>
> I have tried...
>
> # find /var/data/foo -path '\.\/\.snapshot' -prune -o -exec chown
> usera:groupb {} \;
>
> but
>
> chown: changing ownership of `/var/data/foo/.snapshot': Read-only file
> system
> chown: changing ownership of `/var/data/foo/.snapshot/hourly.0':
> Read-only file system
> chown: changing ownership of
> `/var/data/foo/.snapshot/hourly.0/filename': Read-only file system

Your "-path" argument is wrong.  Try this:

     find /var/data/foo -path '/var/data/foo/.snapshot' -prune -o -exec chown
usera:groupb {} +

You need the whole path, and there is no need to escape the '.' character.
I've also used "+" as the terminator.  That's just an efficiency issue.  It
makes 'find' build command lines with as many matches as will fit rather
than invoking 'chown' separately for each one.

                 Do NOT delete it.