[CentOS] OpenSSH-5.3p1 selinux problem on CentOS-5.4.

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 14:48:09 UTC 2010

James B. Byrne wrote:
> Note: I am digest subscriber so if you could copy me directly on any
> reply to the list I would appreciate it very much.

<snip>

>  After a modest amount of research we decided that the
> best answer was to use a more recent version of OpenSSH (5.3p1)that
> supports chroot as a configurable option.

I've not tested it, but I believe the chroot stuff was backported some
while ago:

# rpm -q --changelog openssh | more
* Tue Dec 01 2009 Jan F. Chadima <jchadima at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-40
- close error file descriptor before running external subsystem (#537348)

* Tue Sep 15 2009 Jan F. Chadima <jchadima at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-36.2
- minimize chroot patch to be compatible with upstream (#522141)

* Tue Jun 23 2009 Jan F. Chadima <jchadima at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-36
- tiny change in chroot sftp capability into openssh-server solve ls
speed problem (#440240)

* Tue May 26 2009 Jan F. Chadima <jchadima at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-35
- workaround to plaintext recovery attack against CBC ciphers
CVE-2008-5161 (#502230)

* Fri May 15 2009 Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-34
- disable protocol 1 in the FIPS mode

* Thu Apr 30 2009 Jan F. Chadima <jchadima at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-33
- fix scp hangup on exit (#454812)
- call integrity checks only on binaries which are part of the OpenSSH FIPS
   modules

* Mon Apr 20 2009 Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-32
- log if FIPS mode is initialized (#492363)
- check the integrity of the binaries in the FIPS mode (#467268)

* Wed Apr 08 2009 Jan F. Chadima <jchadima at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-31
- fix ssh hangup on exit (#454812)

* Fri Mar 27 2009 Jan F. Chadima <jchadima at redhat.com> - 4.3p2-30
- add chroot sftp capability into openssh-server (#440240)