[CentOS] Updating gfortran in CentOS 5.4?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Feb 3 18:38:39 UTC 2010

> We're finding that several of the packages we
> need don't compile using the version 4.1.2 of
> gfortran that comes with CentOS 5.4. So,
> I've built the latest version of gfortran (e.g. 4.4.2)
> but I've done it so that all the new version's
> files go in /share/apps/gnu so that they
> don't interfere with the standard gcc distribution
> (building gfortran requires building some parts
> of gcc).
<snip>
> Since "Hello, world" compiles and runs, but charmm
> compiles and doesn't run, there's something wrong
> with how charmm is linked. Also, although the
> 'file charmm' command shows an ELF 64-bit dynamically
> linked file, 'ldd charmm' says "   not a dynamic executable"
> (note no file name). So, something is strange.
<snip>
I was just talking to one of the researchers here who's built it, and
pointed out the completely obvious (once he pointed it out): the "<blank>
not a dynamic executable" tells you that that piece, at least, is
statically linked, *not* dynamic. He recommends getting a core dump, so
you can do a traceback.

         mark