[CentOS] Virtualization - what do You recommend?

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed Feb 3 21:54:57 UTC 2010

Max Hetrick wrote:
> a arias wrote:
>
>> Over the last year I have worked with Xen, KVM, VMware ESX and Sun
>> VirtualBox. VirtualBox is my recommendation, hands down.
>>

> I think this is too vague of a opinion on virtualization use. I think it
> depends on what you're doing with it.
>
> VirtualBox is a nice piece of software for desktop/power user use,
> however, ESXi and ESX are geared more towards enterprise and business
> critical use.
>
> So, it kind of depends on what you're going to be doing with it.
>
> Regards,
> Max

Agreed - it does depend. I have little experience with Xen, VMware /
ESXi or KVM.
I do use VirtualBox on production servers running instances of WindozeXP
running mssql server for some very specific client/server apps and have
found that I can do a complete setup on a headless server remotely with
little hassle. Getting the screen resolution and mouse sorted out did
require loading the VirtualBox Guest Additions. The networking side was
also painless, the only item I struggled with was making the WinXP
server visible on the windoze client's network neighborhood - in the end
I added the WinXP server IP address to the clients lmhosts file - this
actually made a lot of sense - as now those clients that do not need the
sql server access do not even see the Linux hosted WinXP.
FWIW
Rob