[CentOS] Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on CentOS 5 as host ?

mattias mj at mjw.se
Thu Feb 4 15:25:03 UTC 2010

No no no not kvm
Vmware are the best

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] För Chan
Chung Hang Christopher
Skickat: den 4 februari 2010 16:19
Till: centos at centos.org
Ämne: Re: [CentOS] Virtualization software to install Windows as guest on
CentOS 5 as host ?

Sergej Kandyla wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 04, 2010 03:48 PM, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> I need to install Windows as guest on my CentOS 5 as host . Can you
>>> please give me the link to download the requierd rpm package for
>>> this purpose ? Thank you
>>>
>> yum install kvm
>>
>> Then search for virtio drivers. Redhat provides virtio block drivers
>> for
>> Windows Vista, 7, 2008.
>>
> What benefits may provide me the virtio drivers ?

They make use of the paravirtualized virtio framework which is orders of
magnitude faster than fully virtualized i/o.

> Also what suggestions do you have about running  win2k3, win2k8 server
> as a guests on CentOS5 kvm host ?

Well, somebody said use AMD cpus because they are more stable but I have
never managed to get that validated.

> I'm interesting about disk organization for guest OS at first.

If you need performance, you need paravirtualized i/o. With a kvm
solution, that means going through virtio. I think Xen has its own
solution to this and other than this, I know nothing about vmware and
CentOS mailing list
CentOS at centos.org http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos