[CentOS] Configuration Management Redux (was: best parallel / cluster SSH)

Alan McKay

alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:28:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> But, if someone ever gets cross-platform config management right or at
> least close enough that it is worth learning yet another description
> language I'd be very interested.  Cfengine v3 might be getting there but
> the windows version seems to be only available in the commercial build.

OK, this is the perfect sequay for me :-)

Assuming you only want Linux, and at that CentOS Linux - which are
both the case for me - what Config Management system would you use?
What is out there?

A few months ago I sort of had a similar thread going and got the following :

Slackmaster - looks like this is from google

chef - have not looked it up yet

puppet - got a test bed going and just bought the book because have
not found much on line in terms of complex configs and how to actually
use it to manage your environments

bcfg2 - have not looked for it yet

CF Engine - am vaguely familiar with it.

thanks,
-Alan