[CentOS] sendmail mail relay backscatter issue.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:17:05 UTC 2010

On 2/4/2010 3:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>> What do you mean?  Forwarding to the virtuser expansion address should
>> work just like any other address.
>
> It sounds like he didn't forward before, but queue and deliver (e.g. he's
> the only available MX and queues for a firewalled MX or uses mailertable
> to get the mail delivered). If he goes to virtusertable he has to fill the
> table with valid forwards.

The point would be able to include a default reject rule for each
domain, which means that you have to supply valid forwards for all
addresses you don't want to reject at the relay.  (You could default to
forwarding, but that doesn't help with the backscatter issue).  But that
doesn't change the ability to queue/deliver except that the relay has to
accept the domains as local to do the virtuser lookup so the new target
has to have a different name for the delivery host.   I'm not sure how
that relates to your distinction between forwarding and queuing.
Sendmail has local and remote addresses, but remote ones all go through
the same steps.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com