[CentOS] Best way to backup virtual machines from Citrix XenServer.

Simon Billis simon at houxou.com
Fri Feb 5 14:31:14 UTC 2010

Rafał Radecki sent a missive on 2010-02-05:

> Hi All.
>
> I have installed Citrix XenServer. It's Linux-based virtualization
> software. Could anyone propose a good way to make backups of virtual
> machines (Linux/Windows) in it?
>
> With regards,
> R.

Do you have any shared storage that you're using which supports snapshots?
If you do, then a combination of coalescing the running VM's to disk and
taking a snap and also using traditional backup methods (application aware)
to disk/tape for archival and complete failure of the storage is a
reasonable thing to do.

S.