[CentOS] Clustering

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:32:38 UTC 2010

On 2/5/2010 10:12 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> ESXi is free, but usable on one system. ESX is the full-blown version,
>>> costs, and I *think* comes with the console... which, for some unknown
>>> reason, is WinDoze *only*.
>>>
>>> I believe both can be administered via browser.
>>
>> maybe because there are more windows users that Linux and / or Mac OS
>> X and FreeBSD.
>>
>> i have read in [1] and [2] that even RedHat may do the same thing (a
>> Wind0w$ only console)
> <snip>
> Except that VMware is *based* on RHEL. Why would you *not* have a
> Linux-based console?

Esx(i) is pretty lightweight on the host side.  There's no GUI at all
and not much you can actually do there. The vcenter client is a fairly
complex application - probably non-trivial to port and maintain lots of
different versions.  If you're going to lose a percentage of customers
based on not having an appropriate platform to run the client - well you
can do the math - they aren't dumb.

Anyway, the client doesn't need to be connected for normal operation and
you can connect from different clients, so they don't have to be on a
particularly reliable machine.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com